Jul 23 2008
There are many myths and superstitions surrounding roulette. And that is the case of every casino game. These stories might be fascinating, but not all are true. So you should be careful. Here you can find a list of the most famous roulette myths and superstitions.
Jagger’s (unbalanced) wheel
Since Jaggers discovered the unbalanced wheel many casino gamblers today are still looking out for the unbalanced wheel in order to make some fast cash. But the truth is the unbalanced roulette wheel no longer exists. Casino owners, too, have heard the story of Joseph Jaggers and are constantly monitoring their wheels. Before every table is open to the public the wheel is checked and rechecked to make sure it is perfectly balanced. If the casinos discover an unbalanced wheel, they immediately recalibrate it.
Better chance next time
Another myth is that as more spins occur, players have a better opportunity of hitting a number that has not been hit yet. This is absolutely false. Just because a number has not been hit yet, does not mean you have a better probability to hit the number on the next spin. The probability to hit a number every spin is the same 1 out of 38. Just because the number seven has not hit for hours, does not mean it will hit soon. This might be a good example of the gambler’s fallacy. Keep in mind that roulette is a game of chance and the odds are the same for every number with every spin of the wheel.
This is a complex myth and one that is more theory based. Dealers running a roulette game get into a rhythm. The idea is that every spin is the same, meaning that when the dealer picks up the ball they spin it with the same force each time. This means that the ball should spin the same number of spins it did the time before and thus land the same number of slots away from the last spin. This is not saying that the same number will hit each time only that the ball will land a specific distance from the last hit. This idea is called a dealer signature. There is actually much debate about the truth behind this myth. Many people will encourage players to look for a dealer signature; if a player discovers one then theoretically that player has a huge advantage and should be able to win more often.
1. Never jump from table to table as you might leave your luck behind you.
2. After you see your favorite number hit three times, change it, and play another for at least five spins to get a change.
3. Don’t ever go gambling just because you are mad, this will only cause bad karma to follow you - go when you are happy, out for a good time, and you will build memories for a lifetime!
4. Be sure you don’t fight with your woman or man at the table as this can only bring you bad luck.
5. Choose numbers that feel lucky to you = everyone has a lucky number, go with it!